Tuesday, 28 June 2016

                                    REFLECTION - 31

John 10:11-17

 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me just as the Father knows me and I know the Father and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. 17 The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life only to take it up again”.








               This is one of the most familiar passages that we have undergone through in our seminary life. So as we are going to become future shepherds, let us reflect to this passage in a new dimension. After 5 or 6 years by God’s grace we would be ordained priest in the Universal Catholic Church. The formation we had undergone is to make us one with Christ and His bridegroom, the Church. As every year passes by we are called to be closed to God and be one with Christ. In the present scenario, seminarians or priests have a thought pattern to study and score good marks and later to hold big-big authoritative position. Through this we may become administratively high stated person, but not one with Christ. We will be like the hired person who will run away seeing the wolf leaving the Lord’s flock that is when trial and tribulations come upon us. But it is necessary to study and gain good marks, but our heart should have the urge to be one with Christ not authority. if so after we are ordained priest any trial or tribulation will come, we would be like the good shepherd who is ready to sacrifice his life for his flock.

We all know who the real good shepherd is, it is our Lord Jesus Christ. As we all are undergoing philosophical studies, we come across many teachings that are against our lord and his church. We are not called to bind with that teaching, but this study should lead us closer to the good shepherd. This study should be the reason in deepening our faith and not in decreasing or losing the faith. So my dear friends in Jesus Christ, let us try to walk with the real good shepherd and be a good shepherd in the Universal Catholic Church. Let us ponder how we can be good shepherd now and in the Future.
                                                                 

                                                           Bro. George Vadakethil

No comments:

Post a Comment